Wednesday, February 8, 2017

WRITING A BIOGRAPHY. Genís F. (1BTX A)

My grandmother Conxa

Last week, our English teacher told us to write a biography of one of our grandparents. I have three grandparents alive: Conxa, my father’s mother; Pau, my mother’s father and Rosa, which is not genetically part of my family (she was my babysitter when I was a little kid because it was holiday in the kindergarten but it wasn’t for my parents) but, despite this, I have always considered her my grandmother, so I have had three grannies!

 I didn’t know which grandparent to write about until today when I’ve decided to write my grandma Conxa’s biography because my dad was talking with her by phone so I’ve seized the opportunity to interview her. She has told me that she only remembers few things about her past but I think it’ll be enough. Let’s check it!

 It was on 27 March 1935 in a rural house of the remote village of Alcanar where Conxa was born in. She went to school for first time when she was five in a strictly religious nunnery. By the time she was eight, she received communion and, after that, she received the catholic confirmation (she was the latest of her class to receive both of them).

 Later, she moved to another religious school near the village library. That time, the school was so different from now, the boys and the girls studied in different schools, and a boy and a girl couldn’t talk to each other. One day, Conxa looked at a boy* (which after would become her boyfriend) and one of her classmates tattled it to the teacher. My grandmother was physically punished for it!

 Furthermore they (my grandma and her classmates) didn’t do exams (what a happy life!), and the teacher organized them with the most intelligent girl on the front of the class and the “less intelligent” one on the back. She was in the second position but it was because she cheated on the most intelligent girl.

 Although they didn’t do exams, every year an inspector went to check students’ skills. My grandmother only studied one point from the entire book which they had to study. Luckily for her, the inspector only asked her the question she had studied and she was awarded as the most intelligent girl in the school. She was really a luckily girl!

 By the age of fourteen, Conxa definitely left school. No sooner had she left school than she started sewing for 10 pesetas a month. For the first time, she saw men entering to the dressmaker’s store. This year (1949), she had, at least, three boyfriends: Joaquim, Francesc and Eliseu. A morning she was working very hard, a young boy of 16 years called Juanito entered to the store with comics (tebeos). Conxa just looked at him, and she immediately remembered the day she saw him in the school. Conxa fell in love again, but this time it was different from the other boyfriends she had had, she saw him as her fate.

 Then, when Conxa was fifteen, she was still dating with Joaquim because although she loved Juanito, she had never seen him again since the day he entered in the store. On Easter’s day, Conxa went with her friends and Joaquim to the Our Lady of Remei’s mountain (the symbolic mountain of Alcanar) to have lunch. This day, Conxa argued with Joaquim. My grandma was desolated and she was walking alone in the arid mountain when suddenly a young boy riding a bike bumped into her. As soon as Conxa saw him, she realized this boy was Juanito. For the first time in their parallel life they talked to each other. Juanito asked her: -“Why are you crying?” and Conxa explained the truth to Juanito. He comforted my grandmother and he invited her to get on the bike with him. Then, they sat in the street and they talked for a while.

 But Juanito had to go to work in the country in winter and he had to go dancing to Vinaròs or Sant Carles de la Ràpita on summer. Conxa, once again, was alone. She tried to have fun going to the bullring. There was a sad day when she was eighteen, that she went to the bullring and the entire scaffold (there was a kind of scaffold) fell on her. Soon after that, Juanito arrived, rescued her and called the doctor. She was so wounded that her family was already crying for her death but, fortunately, she could save her life.


 After that, Juanito spent more time with her and even he went to talk with Conxa’s parents to buy her love. Conxa’s parents didn’t like Juanito but, after weeks of long talks they accepted the marriage. They get married in 1964 and Juanito started working as Alcanar’s gas station owner. Besides, they were winning enough money to raise children. So, in 1966 my father, Joan Ramon, was born and in 1973 my uncle, Jesús Josep, was born (in 1969 another boy was born but he died at birth).



 This is all the life he has explained me. It’s an amazing life, isn’t it? Now she lives alone (Juanito died in 2014) but she’s happy and proud of all what she has achieved because for her there’s anything else important in the life but family. She’s grateful to God we all live wealthy and happy and she wishes us a bright future and, if it’s possible, a free nation.


Genís Fibla i Costa
1BTX A




No comments:

Post a Comment