Saturday, December 5, 2015

THE WORD OF THE YEAR. Pol S. (1 BATX B)

THE WORD OF THE YEAR 2015


-Seriously? An emoji?- That was my first reaction when I discovered that the Oxford dictionary said that this year’s word was the emoji “Tears of joy”. First of all, an emoji is even not a word, so that’s why you get so shocked at the beginnig. But if you think about this, it makes sense because this maybe one of the most common ways to express happiness, joy, laughs... Nowadays we (or at least me) are constantly using emojis and in a lot of keyboards I’m sure this especially is the most used. This emoji connects with the reality of new technologies, texting platforms and social networks of the last years. It has the part of an actually “word” because this emoji five years before didn’t exist. Even thought is quite strange that a picture wins this high acknowledgment, having in mind that Oxford is the most accurate dictionary in English.


The “Face with Tears of Joy” is one of my favorite emojis in the whole emoji universe. I used it very often, at least twice a day. For me, is the best and funniest emoji because it can express so many things depending on the context of the conversation. You can use it for a sarcastic meaning or maybe for and awkward conversation when you have nothing to say. With it you can laugh, or just be happy, or even be crying of joy. It has so many uses...Honestly; I don’t know what would I do if my keyboard of my smart phone did not have this emoji. With it I don’t have to write much and it saves me a lot of time at the end of the day.


I believe that these years word is correctly chosen. A lot of people may not think as I do but this year’s word does make a difference, and that is why the award is fair. No one knew that there was a Word of the Year selected by the Oxford dictionary, and with this surprising first place they have become trending topic (with this whole emoji thing I’ve become more 2.0). Also I see why they have chosen the Face with Tears of Joy; because this year with all the tragedies, wars, and more things that have happened, we still have used this little piece of happiness to say each to the other funny things or to express joy. It’s almost in our vocabulary. And it also reflects that the language is in a constant change, and that in less than 10 years we speak very different or we use words that in that time did not exist. For example 3 years ago if I had said to somebody in the street –Hey! Can we take a selfie- we or she would though that I was crazy and that selfie didn’t exist. Right now I’m writing this composition and the corrector is marking emoji and selfie as unknown words and they might be one of the most used words in the entire world. So before we criticize the jury of this year’s word I think we should try to understand the actual world situation, and notice that this election is work of a genius!  



POL SANUY
1 BATX B

No comments:

Post a Comment