Monday, December 21, 2015

THE WORD OF THE YEAR. Ricard R. (1BATX A)




What do you think of ‘The Word of the Year’ being this :
     

First of all I’ve to say that I didn’t know anything about this ‘Word of the Year’ trend before so I didn’t get shocked when I saw that this year’s word was a pictograph. Well, I got a bit surprised because things didn’t fit me when I saw that the title was ‘Word of the Year’ and it wasn’t a word, but when I understood that this ‘Word of the Year’ thing consisted more or less into picking the most used word of that year I started to understand why.

In the world where we’re nowadays referring to new technologies and teenagers being totally addicted to mobile phones it’s logical that the most used word of the year is an emoji. The only thing that makes me feel curious is why is the ‘crying with tears of joy’ emoji and not the pleased or the typical smile one but anyway, this one means a lot of different things so I can understand why it’s the most used of all of them. This emoji can mean that you found something that the other person said really funny: -…and then Pete fell off hahahah (and then you say)  


It can mean that you’re nervous about something or that you’re not sure about something that makes you nervous: -Hey how did the exams go Mike? –
I really don’t know                                                                                          
It can mean that you’ve said an affectionate insult to somebody that you’re not pissed with: -Do you understand it now?   -No  -You’re so dumb   

(without the emoji it would sound a little bit aggressive). So as I said at the beginning, it’s logical that if a simple pictograph that can express so many different things appears in the social media where most of it is full of photogenic and writer teenagers with insatiable desire to express themselves it’s used with an extreme frequency.


I think that this emoji is used more often than it should because there’re people that write an enormous paragraph filled with this emojis but in real life they have a big round poker face, (maybe not so exaggerated but I think you get the point) but I like that the most used word of this year is this because it says that we’re happy people and that we know how to express ourselves when we feel good about something.

Ricard Rodas  1 Batx A  3/12/2015

No comments:

Post a Comment