Friday, March 13, 2020

8M - SEXISM AROUNG US Alba C. (4t ESO)


SEXISM

Sexism is a discrimination or prejudice against your gender, and it also refers to the stereotypes of social roles based on the sexual differences. This term is used for both sexes, it includes men and women, but nowadays, there are more women affected than men.

I have lived sexist situations several times and I must say that the experience is not good. I remember that one day I was returning home and I had to cross a bridge that is next to La Maquinista and  right in front of my flat, so when I was about to cross it, a group or three or four teenagers started to follow me saying things like “ hey beauty, what’s your name ? is it Marta? Maybe Carla? Hey, talk to us!” I got scared but I decided to just continue walking and ignore them, as there was more people there, so just after half a minute they got tired and walked away.

 Another frustrating situation happened in the bus when I was returning home with a friend from school. We were sitting and listening to music when suddenly a guy appeared next to us, apparently he seemed to be drunk but we certainly didn’t know it. He didn’t do anything at first, but then he started getting really close to us and that’s the moment when I began to feel very uncomfortable. I turned my face to see my friend’s reaction, she was a little bit worried just like me and when I turned my face again to control that guy, he started to say sexist comments and I think he was trying to flirt in some way with us. We were completely paralyzed, as he was a middle age man, so we turned our faces again and said to each other “ok, let’s stand up and go now” but when we got up from the chairs, the man grabbed my friend’s arm and said things like “ do you have to go? Stay a little bit long!, pretty girls, …” after that, we just ran away and got out of the bus, even that it was not our bus stop. I think that this had been one of the scariest moments of my life, because we felt powerless and the bus was almost empty, so there was nobody to help us.

But I still have more stories to explain, for example this one: it was a summer day and I was walking with my friends Laura and Andrea as we do every morning, because we always go to school together, and as it was so hot, we were wearing short pants. Andrea has a neighbour that is kind of a pervert, because we used to cross him most of the days and he always intimidated us when passing next to him, but that day, he shouted “ hey, beauties, you must wear shorter pants next time” the truth is that after hearing that sexist comment I didn’t feel scared at all, in fact, it was the opposite. I got really angry, just as the others, so we answered him with something like “get lost, you pervert!”

I’m tired of having to suffer sexism and it’s just not in the street and with strangers, but also with my classmates, especially with boys. I know they don’t really mean it, but sometimes they make comments to me or to other girls that I don’t agree with, and maybe they are just joking, but I don’t feel it that way because it’s something that is happening a lot in our society and they should not make fun about it.

Alba Calvo
4th of ESO

No comments:

Post a Comment