Thursday, January 9, 2014

Remembering Nelson Mandela. Paula A. (2n batx B)

THE TIMES
NAILA KINO  

THANK YOU, NELSON MANDELA
Like every year on the 18th of July, all the citizens from South America show their gratitude to Nelson Mandela.

I’m Naila Kino and I was born in South Africa. I’m 19 years old and I’m studying the first year of Journalism in the University of Johannesburg. I’m so glad to write this article about the hero from my country and his official annual day.

This day was declared the annual international day in honor to Mandela by the United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) on November 2009. So since 2010 all the citizens from my country rise up to show our gratitude for Mandela’s fight for our rights.

The aim of this day is "Nelson Mandela has fought for social justice for 67 years. We’re asking you to start with 67 minutes." It consist of dedicating 67 minutes of this day to help people around us.

What I did this year with my family and friends was going to the old people’s home to sing typical songs from South America and to organize some activities for them. I was so delighted to do it, because they are a part of our society that sometimes feels lonely.

I wouldn’t like to finish this article without emphasizing the hero of my country. For me, Nelson Mandela is the person who represents the fight for the rights and the equality from my country. My grandparents always explain me how the conditions were, the dark people. This organization of the society was called apartheid. Some of the rules of the apartheid were:
  •  Black couldn’t hold positions in the government and couldn’t vote.
  • Black couldn’t have business jobs.
  •  Public transport was completely segregated, in trains, buses, planes, taxis or even cities.
  •  Black people were not allowed to go in in areas designated for white people, unless they had a pass issued by the police. White also had to carry a pass to enter the zones assigned to blacks.
  • Public buildings had different entrances for black and white.

Because of this injustice all the nation protest against the apartheid and Nelson Mandela was our voice in front of the world. That’s why I’m so grateful to him. He fought for our rights, for the equality, the education and the sanity from our country.

Thank you, Nelson Mandela.

Paula Aldea
2n batx B







No comments:

Post a Comment