Sunday, October 14, 2012

A MEMORABLE EXPERIENCE. Laura M. (1r batx B)


My father had been smoking since before I was born. My mother and I always said to him that he had to give up smoking, but he didn’t listen to us. Because of tobacco my father didn’t have a good breath so he couldn’t do familiar activities, therefore he and my mother divorced.


After divorce, he continued smoking until he ended in hospital; the doctors said to him that he had to give up smoking because he had pulmonary emphysema. But he didn’t give up smoking and he had to return to hospital, and that time the doctors said to him that they had to do lung transplantation. One day when I was in my mother’s house, while my mother worked, I got a call from my father, he told me that he was in an ambulance en route to hospital because the doctors had found lungs and they could do his transplant. I will never forget that call, I was heartbroken. Then, I phoned my mum and she told me that we could go to the hospital as soon as she got home.

I was at home waiting for my mom’s arrival, she arrived early. Just after, we took the car and we drove to hospital. When we arrived there I saw my father with my grandparents, my uncle and my aunt. I was talking with him and doing my homework until the doctors said to him that he had to do some testing to check that the lungs were well for him. He went with them and after a few minutes he returned, he did it a few more times.


Finally, the doctors told us the results: he was one of the few people who had compatible lungs in the first testing. We (all the family) took the elevator to the transplant floor. There, we said to my dad “see you later” and the doctors took him to the operating room. At that moment I burst into tears because I started thinking about what might happen next. I had to go to my home because the next day I should go to the school, but before that, I said to my uncle if he could send me a text message when all finished. I was delighted when at 5.00 am I received a message that said that the operation went well.

After a few days, my mom and I went to the hospital to see him. I entered in the UCI’s room with my brother. When I saw my father with all those wires I got dizzy and my brother had to take me out. The next day I turned again and I felt good so I stayed with my father more time and he was pleased to stay with me. After some days, I couldn’t believe my eyes that he was so well.


I will never forget the moment that I saw him with all those wires and when I saw his improvement.


This experience marked me and made me realize how I love my dad and that you don't know how bad it’s to smoke until loved one suffers for it.

Laura Marsal García
1r BATX B

No comments:

Post a Comment