Monday, October 1, 2012

THE TREE. Marc F. (2n batx A)


BROTHERHOOD

Brotherhood should be the base of society: it makes people in the video move a tree which is in the middle of the street blocking cars pass, so, what can’t it make? While policemen and all the other people are expecting the tree to move itself, the child, although it seems to be very naive because of trying so, is capable to, with his gesture, encourage everyone there to help him. Magically –I say magically because what happens in the video is inconceivable here- the tree moves.


From my point of view, Western societies have lost this kind of helping mode, that most of Eastern societies have, because the stressed life we live. Each of us have a lot of problems and it seems to be enough reason not to care about the others. You may say it is not true, that you have seen people helping a blind man, or an old man or an old woman being helped to cross the road, etc. I have also seen it, but it appears to me sporadic: I hope it is only my impression. It is true I have noticed more predisposition to help –now I hope it is not only an impression-: maybe we all are changing.

That is what the video has made me reflect about. Also the fact that “poor” societies – and I put it in quotation marks because they are not poor at all-   have the “helping mode” more activated. Before continuing let me excuse myself for using “poor”, I have not found the perfect word to express what I mean.

These societies I refer to are those which are not intoxicated by the I-work-stressed-and-I-don’t-care-about-nobody-but-me lifestyle. I hope I have made it clear, and here comes why I think they have this fraternity I have been talking about: they are happier, and they have a different vision of the world. Our lifestyle here prevents us to see what is really important: people around. 


Marc Flores
2nd A BATX

No comments:

Post a Comment