Monday, April 16, 2012

THE BOOK or THE FILM? Clara M. (1r batx B.)


Which is better – the book or the film?


The answer to the question ‘which is better – the book or the film’ is an eternal war between readers and non-readers. There are a lot of books which have been made into films, for example, the Harry Potter series by Joanne Kathleen Rowling, Eragon by Christopher Paolini, Jane Austen’s novels Pride and prejudice, Sense and sensbility and Emma, Matilda by Roald Dahl , Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert, The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien,  Into the Wild by Jon Krakauer, Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte, Les Miserables by Victor Hugo… And these are only my favorites!
For me, the fact is that the book is always better. But that’s what I think because I’ve been an obsessed reader all my life. For people who read, the book is always better because it is very difficult to put in a two-hour movie all the information and things that happen in the five-hundred pages of a book. In the movie you always miss details, or conversations between the characters or explanations. Moreover, for a lot of readers, a book they have fallen in love with is a treasure, and finding everyone knows it and talks about it with just seeing the film is like an offence.
On the other hand, films have its advantages. For people who don’t read they are a way of watching amazing stories which they may have lost. For readers, if the film is well done it is a way of understanding better what’s happening, it’s easier and faster to review the story you liked so much and it is always a pleasure watching good actors playing your favorite character.
However, I have to admit that, for me, there are some stories which are better on film. Or maybe not ‘better’, just saying that the book is great, but the movie is great too. There are numerous examples of this, from the Harry Potter series to Pride and Prejudice.
In the Harry Potter series, the books are fantastic. I’ve read all of them and they were a very important piece of my childhood, but the movies were also very important. The first Harry Potter film was the first film I saw in the cinema, with my father. It was an especial moment in my life. I also remember buying the new books the day they were out in Spain, and counting the hours to go. I also have all the films on DVD, although I have seen all of them in the cinema. For me, the only thing bad done in this movies is that they wanted to make them last too much for earning more money. They made the last book into two movies, not into one, which, for me, was an enormous error.
Other example of good film from a book is Pride and prejudice. It is one of my favorite books and my favorite film. The novel is fantastically well written by the great Jane Austen, and all the details are delicious and lovely, but the movie is so well done that I’ve seen it nearly fifteen times.  Matthew Macfadyen and Keira Knightley are fantastic on the main roles, the landscapes and houses are perfect, the dresses are adorable and I’m in love with the music. Is a movie in which all the details have been carefully chosen and which has been made with love and you can feel it. That’s why, for me, it is sometimes even better than the film! Or maybe it is just because I’m a very romantic girl…
The fact is that for readers the book is always better, but for non-readers, the film is better. As the reader I am, I would recommend you to read. Then, you can compare. I have discovered fabulous films through books, and great books after watching the film. It is not possible to give a good answer to the question because it depends too much on the point of view of who’s reading/watching!

Clara Martínez
1r batx B

No comments:

Post a Comment